MCE in San Diego Will Be a Busy Four Days
[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
Key issues confronting the trucking industry top the agenda for the 2019 American Trucking Associations Management Conference & Exhibition, which kicks off in San Diego on Oct. 5 and will conclude Oct. 9.
Among the subjects on the mind of ATA President Chris Spear — scheduled to deliver his annual State of the Industry address Oct. 7 — are what he described in a recent interview with Transport Topics as “nuclear” verdicts against trucking companies, proposed changes to the hours-of-service rule and ongoing efforts for federal infrastructure funding.
What may lie farther down the road for the industry will be the focus of an Oct. 8 session titled, “What Does the Future Hold for Us?” during which a group of rising industry leaders will share insights into where trucking is headed.
New this year, Table Talk with the Expert features concurrent, 20-minute power discussions hosted by trucking industry leaders. Among the topics for the Oct. 7 sessions are the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse, Machine Vision and AI, and improving back-office efficiency.
The event’s annual reception and banquet the evening of Oct. 8 will showcase the installation of the new ATA chairman, as First Vice Chairman Randy Guillot is set to succeed Barry Pottle. Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Evening will provide the entertainment.
More than two dozen policy and educational sessions are included on the official schedule for the conference, including:
• Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Administrator Ray Martinez on Oct. 5 will discuss proposed changes to the HOS rule.
• The America Transportation Research Institute on Oct. 6 will release its annual trucking industry top challenges. The survey identifies the top priorities of executives and drivers, and the results are a key indicator of rising, falling and emerging issues in the industry.
• Fitness and fellowship are on tap in the 5K Fun Run/Walk around San Diego Marina from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Oct. 5. Later in the day, the MCE grand opening reception will afford attendees a resplendent view of the marina.
Awards set to be presented at the Oct. 7 ATA luncheon include:
• Highway to Victory Award
• Mike Russell Trucking Industry Image Award
• Presentations for the National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion, the TMC SuperTech 2019 Grand Champion and the ATA National Driver of the Year Award.
Want more news? Listen to today's daily briefing: