Inspectors Remove 12,456 CMVs, 3,714 Drivers During Roadcheck
[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
Commercial vehicle inspectors conducted more than 59,000 inspections during the three-day 2022 International Roadcheck event, placing 12,456 vehicles and 3,714 drivers out of service, the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance reported Sept. 13.
From May 17-19, CVSA-certified inspectors in Canada and the U.S. conducted 36,555 Level I Inspections, and inspectors in Mexico conducted 1,150 Level V Inspections, for a combined total of 37,705 Level I and V Inspections. They placed 8,718 vehicles out of service, which is a 23.1% vehicle out-of-service rate for North America.
Out of the 48,966 Level I and II Inspections conducted in Canada and the U.S., 11,181 vehicles were placed out of service, which is a 22.8% vehicle out-of-service rate, and 3,118 drivers were placed out of service, which is a 6.4% driver out-of-service rate.
We released this year's #InternationalRoadcheck results today. Over the three days of International Roadcheck, CVSA-certified inspectors conducted 59,026 inspections and placed 12,456 commercial motor vehicles and 3,714 CMV drivers out of service. https://t.co/wWJbVNlEz3 pic.twitter.com/YXAkTmNb5X — CVSA (@CVSA) September 13, 2022
That also means that 77.2% of the vehicles and 93.6% of the drivers inspected did not have out-of-service violations, CVSA said.
During International Roadcheck, inspectors in Canada and the U.S. primarily conduct the Level I Inspection, which is a 37-step process that involves thoroughly checking the vehicle and the driver’s operating credentials.
• Of the 36,555 Level I Inspections conducted in Canada and the U.S., 23.7% of the vehicles inspected (8,672) were placed out of service and 6.1% (2,242) of drivers were placed out of service.
• In the U.S., of the 33,196 Level I Inspections conducted, 7,912 commercial motor vehicles (23.8%) and 2,051 drivers (6.2%) were placed out of service.
• In Canada, of the 3,359 Level I Inspections conducted, 760 CMVs (22.6%) and 191 (5.7%) drivers were placed out of service.
The top five violations combined in Canada, Mexico and the U.S. were:
1. Brake systems 4,592 (25.2%)
2. Tires 3,374 (18.5%)
3. Defective service brakes 2,309 (12.7%)
4. Lights 2,219 (12.2%)
5. Cargo securement (1,934) 10.6%
Source: Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
Each year, CVSA highlights an aspect of the roadside inspection. This year, the focus was on wheel ends. Of the top 10 vehicle out-of-service violations, tires ranked second and wheels were seventh.
Of the 18,213 total vehicle out-of-service violations, 3,374 were for tires, accounting for 18.5% of all vehicle out-of-service violations, and 784 were for wheels, which is 4.3% of all vehicle out-of-service violations. Combined, wheel end (tire and wheel) violations accounted for 22.8% of all out-of-service vehicle violations throughout North America.
Last year’s Roadcheck event, which took place Sept. 9-11 after being postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic, resulted in an overall vehicle out-of-service rate of 20.9% in North America, an increase from the 17.9% rate the prior year.
An inspector checks out an engine at an International Roadcheck law enforcement event in Maryland on May 17. (Eric Miller/Transport Topics)
During the 2021 event, inspectors removed 6,710 commercial motor vehicles and 2,080 drivers from roadways — a 16.5% vehicle and 5.3% driver out-of-service rate. During last year’s event, there were fewer inspections, just over 40,000.
Last year, CVSA said that approximately 83.5% of the commercial motor vehicles examined had no out-of-service violations during the annual high-volume, high-visibility inspection and enforcement initiative.
International Roadcheck is a CVSA program with participation by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators, Transport Canada, and Mexico’s Ministry of Communications and Transportation and the National Guard.
Want more news? Listen to today's daily briefing below or go here for more info: