[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
Who: Winners from nine categories at the state level have advanced to the national competition, where a Grand Champion will be crowned
What: Contestants are judged on a written examination and their driving skills
When: Aug. 14-17
The second time was the charm for Brook Figgins of FedEx Freight, who won Sleeper Berth for the second year in a row and was named Grand Champion at the 2019 Colorado Truck Driving Championships on June 1 in Henderson.
Eric Damon of FedEx Express won the Step Van competition. He is the defending national champion in that category, having taken top honors at the National Truck Driving Championships in Columbus, Ohio, in 2018.
COLORADO ARCHIVE PAGE: Previews, Recaps and More
Tyler Rogers of FedEx Freight won the highly competitive Tank Truck category. He defeated three drivers who have been to NTDC multiple times.
Chris Schultz of American Furniture Warehouse, who won Straight Truck, was named Rookie of the Year. The team trophy went to Walmart Transportation. Christopher Perna of FedEx Freight won the Leo Wozniak Professionalism Award.
David Mogler of FedEx Freight won Twins after switching from 3-Axle last year (he placed No. 2 in the event at 2018 NTDC).
This year’s NTDC will be held in Pittsburgh on Aug. 14-17.
All competitors moving on to nationals:
- 3-Axle: Paul Swan, FedEx Freight
- 4-Axle: Eric Ehlenbach, FedEx Freight
- 5-Axle: Jason West, McLane Foodservice
- Flatbed: Dan Brandt, Walmart Transportation
- Sleeper: Brook Figgins, FedEx Freight
- Tank Truck: Tyler Rogers, FedEx Freight
- Twins: David Mogler, FedEx Freight
- Straight Truck: Chris Schultz, American Furniture Warehouse
- Step Van: Eric Damon, FedEx Express