Gary Killian, a driver for Cargo Transporters, was one of those honored at a March 24 event here as part of the Mid-America Trucking Show.
“I send them model trucks from our companies, and I let them ask me anything they want,” said Killian, the buddy of teacher Rita Woodley’s class at Cotton Belt Elementary School in York, South Carolina.
Cotton Belt was selected as a school because it is near a Meritor Inc. manufacturing plant. Meritor is a Tier 1 supplier of axles, brakes and other truck components.
Other drivers selected were:
- Angel Lecomte of CCC Transportation for work with Amber Matts’ class at Healthy Learning Academy in Newberry, Florida
- Michael Schuller of Alaska West for his work with Verlene Wilson’s class at Cornerstone Christian Academy in Post Falls, Idaho
- John Haley of Oakley Transport for his work with Maria Therres' St. John the Baptist School in Vermilion, Minnesota
The four teachers honored were:
- Lee Lohr of New Century School in Verona, Wisconsin, whose class corresponds with driver Jim Stinemates of Walmart Transportation
- Cindy Weise, Renee Stinksen and Tracy Keppy, all of Walcott Elementary School of Walcott Iowa; their classes corresponded with driver Matt Slovack of Don Hummer Trucking
Trucker Buddy Executive Director Randy Schwartzenburg also announced that Tennessee Trucking Association President Dave Huneryager was elected to TBI’s board of directors and that Gloria Clements has been hired as TBI’s director of development.