[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
Chris Morrison of Hogan Transports won the Sleeper Berth competition to clinch the Grand Champion title at the Missouri Truck Driving Championships on May 31-June 1 in Branson.
Who: Winners from nine categories at the state level have advanced to the national competition, where a Grand Champion will be crowned
What: Contestants are judged on a written examination and their driving skills
When: Aug. 14-17
This is the third year in a row that a Hogan driver has won the title. “They killed it,” said Kaitlynn Orr of the Missouri Motor Carriers Association.
Another Hogan driver, Bruce Brewen, who was Grand Champion in 2018 and 2017, won the 4-Axle. Brewen also was top finisher in the written exam.
MISSOURI ARCHIVE PAGE: Previews, Recaps and More
XPO Logistics took the team champion award. XPO had top finishers in the 3-Axle (John Reyes) and Straight Truck (Paul Tyler). XPO’s win was “a pretty big surprise,” Orr said. “Usually FedEx wins.”
David Pruitt of Leggett & Platt was named Rookie of the Year after finishing tops in the 5-Axle.
Rodney Rodebush of FedEx Ground was first in Pre-Trip. Thomas Miller of Prime Inc. won the Missouri Professional Excellence Award.
The event was a success, with 193 drivers turning out to compete and a record 729 at the June 1 banquet.
This year’s NTDC will be held in Pittsburgh on Aug. 14-17.
All competitors moving on to nationals:
- 3-Axle: John Reyes, XPO Logistics
- 4-Axle: Bruce Brewen, Hogan Transports
- 5-Axle: David Pruitt, Leggett & Platt
- Flatbed: Scott Fischer, Prime Inc.
- Sleeper: Chris Morrison, Hogan Transports
- Tank Truck: Sid Naramore, Buchheit Logistics
- Twins: Michael Chatterton, FedEx Freight
- Straight Truck: Paul Tyler, XPO Logistics
- Step Van: Stacey Kraus, FedEx Freight