Managing Editor, Features
Trey Mytty of Truck Center Cos. Named Dealer of the Year at ATD
SAN FRANCISCO — Trey Mytty, CEO of Truck Center Cos. in Omaha, Neb., received top honors as the winner of the 2019 Truck Dealer of the Year award here Jan. 26 at the American Truck Dealers Show.
“This business started for me as a summertime job when I was 16, washing trucks, and it’s turned into many opportunities,” Mytty said upon receiving the award.
Truck Center Cos., which sells and services Freightliner, Western Star and Isuzu trucks, operates eight dealerships and parts and service facilities in Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa.
“One thing we know is that we all have great products — the technological advances are amazing and there are good things happening,” Mytty told the audience of truck dealers from across the country. “But really one of our biggest challenges is attracting people into our industry.”
The other five nominees for the award:
• Runner-up Terry Minor, CEO of Cumberland International Trucks in Nashville, Tenn.
• David Kriete, CEO of Kriete Truck Centers, a Mack, Volvo, Hino and Fuso dealer based in Milwaukee.
• Kim Mesfin, president of Affinity Truck Center, a Volvo, Mack and Autocar dealer in Fresno, Calif.
• Harry Moyer, president of Lowe and Moyer Garage, an International dealer in Fogelsville, Pa.
• John Nichols, CEO of Palmer Trucks, a Kenworth dealer in Indianapolis.
He said truck dealers, collectively, can help address that challenge by spreading the word that it’s “a really good industry with a lot of opportunities and a lot of great people.”
“We have 575 employees in our dealership, and I’m very proud of them,” Mytty added. “This really is their award for what they do every day.”
The national Truck Dealer of the Year award recognizes commercial truck dealers for their success in business, service to the industry and contributions to their communities.
ATD board members and dealer association executives selected the nominees, who were then evaluated by professors from Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business.