[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
Lucid’s CEO says ‘tough medicine’ is needed to fix EV maker
Company's full-year EV production and deliveries will fall short of Wall Street estimates
Bloomberg News
Lucid Gravity electric vehicles during the 2025 New York International Auto Show. (Bing Guan/Bloomberg)
Key Takeaways:
- Lucid said it aims to save $1.4 billion in cash this year as CEO Silvio Napoli tightens operations after quarterly results missed estimates.
- The plan includes $500 million in lower capital spending and up to $800 million in inventory savings as losses continued despite revenue topping expectations.
- Napoli said priorities include the Uber robotaxi partnership, Saudi factory production and a new midsize EV launch while AlixPartners' restructuring work ends in August.
Lucid Group Inc. is targeting $1.4 billion in cash savings this year in a broad push to reset its operations, an effort by new CEO Silvio Napoli to shore up the money-losing maker of electric vehicles.
The plan includes $500 million in reduced capital expenditures and as much as $800 million in inventory savings, Lucid said as it reported quarterly earnings that missed Wall Street estimates.
Napoli said “tough medicine” through intensified financial and operational discipline will be needed to reduce cash burn and achieve key milestones. He also said Lucid’s full-year EV production and deliveries will fall short of current Wall Street estimates.
“The way we operate has to change,” Napoli said late Aug. 4 on the company’s earnings call. “While there is no question that Lucid brought leading innovations and outstanding products to the market, we have disappointed on several fronts, and for far too long, we have not executed consistently.”
Lucid shares slid 7.5% as of 7:32 a.m. Aug. 5 in premarket trading in New York, extending the stock’s 26% decline so far this year.
Beyond the $1.4 billion in cash-flow improvements, Napoli said the company’s immediate priorities are its planned robotaxi partnership with Uber Technologies Inc., readying its factory in Saudi Arabia for production and introducing the first model based on its new midsize EV platform.
Lucid has released its FY26 Q2 financial results and outlined a comprehensive operational reset focused on strengthening execution, reducing cash burn and improving the customer experience.
Read more here: https://t.co/8YaW3YwgCM
The company will discuss its financial results… pic.twitter.com/EJeL8w3O9T — Lucid Motors (@LucidMotors) August 4, 2026
“We will not repeat the mistakes of the past by bringing a product to market before it is ready,” said Napoli said on the call, referring to the midsize EV.
Napoli’s new effort follows an operational review, job cuts and production changes in recent months. The company anticipates lower operational expenses from its recently disclosed workforce reductions.
The troubled company has contended with heavy costs, supply chain snags and tepid consumer demand in the U.S. as the Trump administration imposed tariffs and unwound policies supporting EVs.
Lucid last month confirmed it’s working with restructuring advisers from AlixPartners to turn around its business. The company faces a pivotal moment with the upcoming launch of a lower-cost midsize vehicle platform, an initiative that Lucid hopes will bolster sales and help eventually generate profit.
Napoli said its work with AlixPartners will conclude by the end of August.
The automaker recently pushed back aggressively against a report in an industry-focused publication that the company was considering a bankruptcy filing. Lucid called the claims “completely false” and said it has sufficient liquidity to last into next year — a saga that triggered a selloff in the company’s shares before they rebounded.
Lucid on Aug. 4 said it ended the second quarter with $3 billion in total liquidity.
Brad Gulick of Eaton Mobile Power Group discusses hydraulic systems that power trucks. He addresses dump pump sizing and more. Tune in above or by going to RoadSigns.ttnews.com.
The company’s money-losing continued in the period, with an adjusted loss before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of $901 million and an adjusted per-share loss of $2.78 — worse than the average of analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Revenue climbed to $405 million, slightly exceeding Wall Street’s expectations.
The automaker earlier this year suspended its 2026 EV production forecast, which had called for building as many as 27,000 vehicles.
Lucid’s main support is the backing of its patron and top shareholder, the Saudi Public Investment Fund, which has invested more than $9 billion into the company. It got a boost more recently after Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud acquired a 5% stake in the company, giving it a much-needed vote of confidence.
