After winning Straight Truck at Idaho’s Truck Driving Championships last year, Paul Unser of YRC Freight not only won Straight Truck this year, but took overall Grand Champion honors as well. Unser beat out Timothy Melody of ABF Freight System, who competed and won in Sleeper Berth this year.
2019 SCHEDULE: State-by-state list.
Who: Winners from nine categories at the state level have advanced to the national competition, where a Grand Champion will be crowned
What: Contestants are judged on a written examination and their driving skills
When: Aug. 14-17
Unser was the only YRC Freight competitor to place.
Alan Stacy of FedEx Ground repeated his 2018 Step Van win with a solid performance, heading to nationals for the fourth year in a row. Stacy previously competed in Straight Truck in 2016 and 2017.
IDAHO ARCHIVE PAGE: Previews, recaps and more
Kaden Schultz of Old Dominion Freight Line, who competed in the 4-Axle division, was named Rookie of the Year.
Advancing to nationals from Idaho are:
- 3-Axle: Kevin Winn, Old Dominion Freight Line
- 4-Axle: Adam Heim, FedEx Freight
- 5-Axle: Clint Schultz, Old Dominion Freight Line
- Flatbed: William Hill Jr., Old Dominion Freight Line
- Sleeper Berth: Timothy Melody, ABF Freight System
- Tank Truck: Curtis Smith, FedEx Freight
- Twins: Tyson Feller, FedEx Ground
- Straight Truck: Paul Unser, YRC Freight
- Step Van: Alan Stacy, FedEx Ground