WASHINGTON — American Trucking Associations named 19 truck drivers to represent the industry as the 2015-2016 America’s Road Team.
The drivers, who will serve as Road Team captains for two years, were selected from 31 finalists who competed this week before a panel of judges near ATA’s Arlington, Va., headquarters.
MORE ON ROAD TEAM: Introductions, reactions
“America’s Road Team represents the best of what trucking can be: dedication to safety, professionalism and pride in an industry that delivers life’s essentials every day,” said ATA President Bill Graves.
“These 19 outstanding professionals join a select fraternity. Since 1986, America’s Road Team has delivered the message of safety to millions, and I’m proud that these individuals will now be representing our industry,” Graves said.
The competition tested drivers’ knowledge of the trucking industry and communication skills, and reviewed their community service and safety records. The captains have 453 combined years of experience and have logged more than 30.3 million accident-free miles.
America’s Road Team, which began in 1986, has been sponsored by Volvo Trucks since 2002.
“We are proud to congratulate and support the top-notch professional drivers who have been selected as captains of the 2015-2016 America’s Road Team,” said Göran Nyberg, president of Volvo Trucks’ North American sales and marketing.
Volvo will present the Road Team with a new 2016 VNL 780 truck Jan. 16 at its New River Valley manufacturing plant in Dublin, Virginia.
The captains will travel around the United States for the next two years as representatives of the trucking industry, speaking at community events and schools, and to the news media, public officials and fellow truck drivers.
“We’re the new face of the trucking industry,” Richie Buitrago, a driver with Con-way Freight in Kissimmee, Florida, told Transport Topics.
“Our goal is to come home every night safely along with those who share the road with us,” he said at a Tuesday night reception near the U.S. Capitol in Washington honoring the Road Team finalists.
The 2015-’16 America’s Road Team captains are:
• Henry Bruster, UPS Freight, Woodville, Mississippi
• Ricardo Buitrago, Con-way Freight, Kissimmee, Florida
• Charles Demchock II, Wal-Mart Transportation, Cocoa, Florida
• Eric Flick, FedEx Freight, Dayton, Nevada
• David Green, Werner Enterprises, Hot Springs, Arkansas
• Neil Kirk, Penske Logistics, Middletown, New York
• Randall Luschen, Weinrich Truck Line Inc., Merrill, Iowa
• John McKown, UPS Freight, East Berlin, Pennsylvania
• Chad Miller, ABF Freight System Inc., Crown Point, Indiana
• Bill Minor, Con-way Freight, West Milwaukee, Wisconsin
• Eric Ramsdell, Wal-Mart Transportation, Wittmann, Arizona
• Paul Savill, UPS Freight, Hamilton, Ohio
• Russell Simpson, Holland Inc., South Vienna, Ohio
• Danny Smith, Big G Express Inc., Shelbyville, Tennessee
• Tim Vogt, Con-way Freight, Loganville, Georgia
• Kirk Weis, ABF Freight System Inc., Rio Rancho, New Mexico
• William West, ABF Freight System Inc., Roopville, Georgia
• Derrick Whittle, Cargo Transporters Inc., Fieldale, Virgina
• Scott Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio