[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
XPO Logistics driver Ina Daly punched her ticket to her 14th National Truck Driving Championships by claiming Grand Champion honors at the Arizona Truck Driving Championships on April 13 in Tempe.
Daly’s performance included scoring the highest in the skills/driving course. She competed in the 5-Axle division. A veteran of truck driving competitions since the 1980s, Daly won the Arizona Grand Champion and Tank Truck titles last year. She won the Tank Truck division at NTDC in 2013.
Who: Winners from nine categories at the state level have advanced to the national competition, where a Grand Champion will be crowned
What: Contestants are judged on a written examination and their driving skills
When: Aug. 14-17
ARIZONA ARCHIVE PAGE: Previews, recaps and more
David Zdanek of FedEx Freight came in second in the Straight Truck division and received honors for the best pre-trip inspection.
2019 SCHEDULE: State-by-state list.
The Rookie of the Year award went to Robert Lopez of FedEx Freight, finishing second in the Twins category.
More than 175 drivers turned out at Tempe Diablo Stadium for the competition.
This year’s NTDC will be held in Pittsburgh on Aug. 14-17.
All competitors moving on to nationals:
- 3-Axle: Albert Ochoa, FedEx Freight
- 4-Axle: Ramon Diaz Jr., FedEx Freight
- 5-Axle: Ina Daly, XPO Logistics
- Flatbed: Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation
- Sleeper Berth: Gregory Ryan, Walmart Transportation
- Tank Truck: George Wells III, Shamrock Foods Co.
- Twins: Kelly Brown, FedEx Freight
- Straight Truck: Charles Woodland, FedEx Freight
- Step Van: Ruben Montoya Jr., FedEx Ground