About DOE regional averages:
DOE's regional averages are drawn from its weekly national survey of 350 diesel
service centers. The stations are surveyed on Mondays and the results are
reported late that day.
DOE divides the country into five geographic districts called Petroleum
Administration for Defense Districts (PADD). It also breaks the East Coast into
three subdistricts and treats the state of California as a subdistrict of the
The full geographic breakdown is:
- The East Coast (PADD 1) comprises:
- New England Subdistrict (PADD 1A): Conn., Maine, Mass., N.H., R.I., Vt.;
- Central Atlantic Subdistrict (PADD 1B) : Del., D.C., Md., N.J., N.Y., Pa.; and
- Lower Atlantic Subdistrict (PADD 1C) : Fla., Ga., N.C., S.C., Va., W.Va.
- The Midwest (PADD 2) is Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kan., Ky., Mich., Minn., Mo., Neb.,
N.D., Ohio, Okla., S.D., Tenn., Wis.
- The Gulf Coast (PADD 3) is Ala., Ark., La., Miss., N.M., Texas.
- Rocky Mountain (PADD 4) is Colo., Idaho, Mont., Utah, Wyo.
- The West Coast (PADD 5) is Alaska, Ariz., Hawaii, Nev., Ore., Wash.; plus Calif.