N.Y. Thruway Puts Off Decision on Higher Truck Tolls
The New York State Thruway’s board of directors canceled the second of two meetings within four days at which the board was to address a proposed 45% increase in toll rates for trucks.
The cancellation of Monday’s meeting followed a meeting that had been scheduled for Friday that had also been canceled.
Thruway officials in May published a proposal that could raise the toll for a five-axle truck running the length of the highway from the current $68.95 to $99.98, which a state official said this summer could have “damaging effects” on consumers and businesses.
In a statement issued after the second meeting cancellation, the Thruway’s executive director, Thomas J. Madison, said the toll increase for trucks is a “a complex issue” that requires more evaluation before the board considers it.
“The Thruway is looking at a number of options and doing extensive research and it will continue to do this due diligence work before another meeting is called and a recommendation is made,” Madison said.
The New York State Motor Truck Association countered with a statement of its own: “It is suspect that the Thruway Authority is now claiming to be doing their due diligence regarding possible alternatives to a 45% commercial toll increase, considering they told investors they saw no reason the increase would not move forward before even holding public hearings on the matter.”
When the proposed truck-only toll increase was announced in May, Thruway officials said they needed the additional revenue to shore up the agency’s financial profile so it can issue bonds to help pay for construction of a new Tappan Zee Bridge.
|By Michele Fuetsch|
© 2012, Transport Topics, American Trucking Associations Inc.
Reproduction, redistribution, display or rebroadcast by any means without written permission is prohibited.