American Trucking Associations this week named 19 truck drivers to represent the industry as the 2013-2014 America’s Road Team.
The drivers, who will serve as America’s Road Team captains for two years, were selected from 32 finalists who competed early in the week before a panel of judges near ATA’s Arlington, Va., headquarters.
“America’s Road Team represents the best our industry has to offer: pride, professionalism and dedication to making our highways safer for all who travel them,” ATA President Bill Graves said in a statement.
The competition tested drivers’ knowledge of the trucking industry and communication skills, and reviewed their community service and safety records. The captains have a collected 453 years of experience and more than 30.1 million accident-free miles.
America’s Road Team is sponsored by Volvo Trucks.
“It’s an honor to welcome and congratulate the professional drivers who will be serving as captains of the 2013-2014 America’s Road Team,” Göran Nyberg, Volvo Trucks’ president of North American sales and marketing, said in a statement. “They are outstanding representatives for the trucking industry.”
The captains will travel around the United States for the next two years as representatives of the trucking industry, speaking at community events and schools, and to the news media, public officials and fellow truck drivers.
The 2013-2014 America’s Road Team captains are:
• Don Biggerstaff, ABF Freight System, Maiden, N.C.
• John Borman, Koch Trucking, Lino Lakes, Minn.
• Byron Bramwell, YRC Freight, Centerview, Mo.
• Ted Carlson, FedEx Freight, Vancouver, Wash.
• Donald Conklin, YRC Freight, La Porte, Ind.
• Herschel Evans, Holland Inc., Bremen, Ga.
• Jeffrey Halford, Con-way Freight, Meridian, Idaho
• Loren Hatfield, ABF Freight System, Maumelle, Ark.
• Stephanie Klang, Con-way Truckload, Diamond, Mo.
• John Lex, Wal-Mart Transportation, Monroe, Ga.
• Don Logan, FedEx Freight, Eskridge, Kan.
• Rod Miles, Con-way Freight, Lauderhill, Fla.
• Thomas Miller, Prime Inc., Bunker Hill, Ill.
• Otto Schmeckenbecher, ABF Freight System, Little Rock, Ark.
• Todd Stine, Carbon Express, Altoona, Pa.
• Clarence “Eddie” Weeks, AAA Cooper, Silver Springs, Fla.
• Nathan Wick, UPS Freight, Isanti, Minn.
• Dale Williams, Trimac Transportation, Centerville, Ala.
• Bryan Wold, Con-way Freight, Reile’s Acres, N.D.