Roger Gilroy

Roger Gilroy

Senior Reporter

@roger_gilroy

Roger Gilroy began reporting on the trucking industry for Transport Topics in the 1990s, but at various times ventured away to report for other publications that focused on hazardous materials transportation then intelligent transportation systems — and later for nine years owned a small business that came with two vans and two buses.


Chinese Firm Plans to Open Trailer Plant in Indiana

With the U.S. trailer market showing signs of growth, a Chinese company that said it has built more than 3 million shipping containers over the past 20 years has announced creation of a U.S. subsidiary to make dry van trailers in Monon, Ind., as part of its global strategy to expand into new products and markets..

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
August 6, 2003

NHTSA: 4,000 Monon Trailers Have 'Manufacturing Defect'

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said an estimated 4,000 trailers built by defunct Monon Corp. may break and separate from the tractor. The agency said it has located 40% of the trailers, leaving about 60% unaccounted for.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
July 24, 2003

Suppliers Say Time Remains to Meet '07 Engine Requirements

LAS VEGAS — There is still enough time to test and market new heavy-duty truck engines to meet the next round of federal emissions rules that begin in 2007, several industry suppliers said recently.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
July 7, 2003

Freightliner to Reorganize

Freightliner LLC, the leading U.S. truck manufacturer, announced a major reorganization last week that is designed to consolidate its operations and, ultimately, reduce costs.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
July 3, 2003

Sales Down, Truck Makers Rev Up Customer Outreach

With U.S. retail sales of Class 8 trucks wobbling below last year’s already weak levels, original equipment manufacturers are gathering and sharing more information than ever before with customers and dealers in an effort to drive up revenues, streamline product development and strengthen customer loyalty.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
July 2, 2003

Suppliers Say They Can Survive Potential 2007 Boom-Bust Cycle

LAS VEGAS — Suppliers at the International Trucking Show here said they could weather another boom-bust cycle in their industry if trucking fleets postpone buying model-year 2007 trucks with engines designed to meet tougher diesel emissions standards.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
June 30, 2003

Truck Sales Decline 9.7%

Retail sales of heavy-duty trucks dropped 9.7% in May from the same month in 2002, as declines for four truck brands more than offset increases for the rest.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
June 26, 2003

CARB Seen Weighing How to Check 2007 Engines

PHOENIX — Clean air regulators in California will require heavy-duty 2007-model trucks registered in the state to have electronic connections for checking emissions and diagnostic data, but they have not decided what kind of connection to require, according to a panel of experts at the recent Technology & Maintenance Council summer meeting here.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
June 23, 2003

Trucks Will Be Ready, Builders Say

PHOENIX — Three of the top truck manufacturing executives in North America assured their customers that they would produce lower-emissions vehicles in plenty of time to meet new U.S. pollution rules, but didn’t agree on how they would do so.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
June 20, 2003

TMC Task Force to Address Truck Security Standards

PHOENIX — The Technology and Maintenance Council formed a new task force to determine guidelines for adding security-related technology to trucks, including remote disabling of the vehicle, and to address possible liability consequences.

Roger Gilroy | Senior Reporter
June 18, 2003

Pages