Share
March 22, 2018 10:30 AM, EDT

California Transportation Commission Adopts Infrastructure Improvement Plan

California roadwork California roadwork by John Sommers II for Transport Topics

The California Transportation Commission adopted the 2018 State Transportation Improvement Program, which is expected to fund more than $3 billion in transportation projects over the next five years, at a March 21 meeting.

CTC logo

The commission, known as CTC, is an independent agency that allocates state and federal transportation funds. The transportation improvement program, which outlines financing plans for future highways, intercity rail and transit projects, is updated every two years. The 2018 program covers the period from fiscal 2018-19 to fiscal 2022-23.

Funding for the improvement program was made possible through the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017, also known as Senate Bill 1. The legislation devotes millions for infrastructure improvements throughout the state.

“Just two years ago, a funding shortfall forced the Commission to delete and delay about $1.5 billion in projects from the 2016 STIP,” said Commissioner Lucy Dunn in a press release issued by CTC. “That was a blow to communities counting on traffic relief. The gas tax revenue stabilized by SB 1 will help us restore many projects that were cut and fund new projects for much-needed transportation improvements across California.”

Some 75% of the program’s funding goes to projects nominated by regional transportation agencies. Using a formula, the commission divides the money for each county. The remaining 25% of funds is made available for projects nominated by the California Department of Transportation.

During a February meeting, the commission announced that it will distribute $173.4 million across 57 local and regional projects. The 57 projects represent submissions from 32 agencies.