TT File Photo
Estes Express Lines said it will be delivering freight that was stranded by the shutdown of New Century Transportation last week.
The announcement on Estes’ Web site said that “many shipments that were in process at New Century on or before June 11, 2014, were finally cleared by the bank trustee on June 15 to be handed over to Estes for delivery.”
New Century filed a plant closing notice on June 9 and a bankruptcy petition two days later, affecting 1,577 employees. The failure was attributed to its lenders’ withdrawal of funding for operations.
The statement from Estes, which ranks No. 15 on Transport Topics Top 100 For-Hire Carriers in the U.S. and Canada also said “the shipments we are now responsible for are en route, and we are responding as quickly as possible.”